I gave a standard oat & raisin granola recipe a face-lift; here I present you with a moorish Walnut, Cinnamon & Date Granola packed full of all the good stuff.
INGREDIENTS: (for a big container of granola)
8 cups of jumbo oats
2/3 cup honey
1 cup coconut oil (or equivalent)
8 pitted dates, chopped into chocolate-chip sized pieces
2 cups of coconut flakes
1 & 1/2 cups walnuts
1/2 – 1 cup seeds (I used sunflower & flax seeds)
1 cup dried fruit
3 tablespoons cinnamon (or add to suit taste preference)
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
1/2 teaspoon salt
Any extras you want to sprinkle in – activated buckwheat is a hit!
- Turn the oven on to 160 degrees celsius
- Ensure coconut oil is melted and combine with vanilla essence and honey
- Add all dry ingredients* & spice together in a large bowl
- *add dates and dried fruit now if a more caramelised flavour desired, but be careful as they burn easily! You can add these at the end also
- Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix well
- Spread evenly on a baking tray, ensuring it is not thickly layered in order to get the crunchiest result
- Cook for ~30-35 minutes, check and toss gently (as to not break clusters) after 20 minutes
Cool & store in and airtight container.
SERVING SUGGESTIONS + RECIPE ALTERNATIVES:
Cacao granola – add cacao powder to the mix before you bake for a chocolate-y twist
Serve with a creamy banana smoothie instead of plain milk! Just add bananas, ice and water or milk to a blender & then mix in the granola – YUM.
Make into granola cookie crisps! Roll mixture into small handfuls and bake in the oven – drizzle with dark chocolate once cooked
Cover and body image property of Maddie Mason @ The Love Club